Friday, October 31, 2014

NaNo Eve

October 31, for a lot of people this is Halloween, for me this is NaNo Eve. This is the last day before the frenzied, caution to the wind writing pace for the next, great/horrible novel! For those unfamiliar, NaNoWriMo is National Novel Writing Month and takes place in the month of November. The goal is 50,000 words in the mere 30 day span of the month. I've been doing this since 2008 and I have no intention of stopping now.

This year I am attempting some science fiction in an oceanic setting, current working title is Fathoms. I've been plotting and planning all year and I only have it half outlined. Some of my research is unfinished, I've either not had the time to dive as far into as I wanted, or I've changed major plot points that have rendered all my previous research moot. Either way I have only half a poorly sketched out map to take me through this November.

Obviously, it probably sounds crazy for me to attempt this. After all, only recently did I say I was cutting back on my blog posting as I'm balancing two teaching courses, taking a course, doing research, and being a Mom. And for the first time in years I did consider sitting NaNo out. But honestly, I usually cut out all of my writing exercises for the rest of the year in favor of higher priority items. But November, egged on by the knowledge that thousands of other people are also neglecting their higher priorities, I give myself permission to raise my fun priority. I've not been disappointed yet!

Do I have 6 beautiful, publishable novels to show for it? Of course not! I don't even have 6 novels I'm proud of.. one of them I might never open again I'm so ashamed of how SUCKY it is. But I do have 6 adventures that pushed my creativity and gave me a sense of accomplishment. In another month, I will hopefully have 7!



Anyone else doing NaNo? My nick is SCUBAJfer, so if you are please buddy up with me and let me know who you are in the comments!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me some feedback! I love interacting with people!