Wednesday, June 18, 2014

My Writing Process Blog Tour

I love this idea!  A prompt going around Twitter has bloggers stop and think about what and how do they write called #MyWritingProcess.

Here are the My Writing Process Blog Tour Instructions:
Step 1: Acknowledge the person (& site) who involved you in the blog tour.
Step 2: Answer these 4 questions about your writing process.
Step 3: Tag another writer or 2 to answer the questions the week after you. Give a one-sentence bio of each, and link to their websites.

I came across this from Kristy over at Sexy Grammar.  Kristy is one of the very talented writers I follow from NaNoWriMo.

1) WHAT ARE YOU WORKING ON?

 Right now I have 3 projects: A) this blog, B) PhD proposal, C) outlining NaNo '14!

2) HOW DOES YOUR WORK DIFFER FROM OTHERS’ WORK IN THE SAME GENRE?

 A) I feel like my blog is a crazy hodge podge, just like my life. It's got some science and some parenting... sometimes I use it to try out different writing styles. The one thing it does is keep me on a schedule. I know I have to write something because I have deadlines!

B) My PhD proposal is different... uh... well the work is different... but the format is similar to everyone else, as it needs to be.

C) This, and the past few, years NaNo is science fiction.. my science fiction is different because I try to go heavy on the current science in an educational type fashion and be sparing with the fiction. Though this years will dive deeper into fiction than previous attempts! Though I'm still planning on a big dose of education to go along with it!

3) WHY DO YOU WRITE WHAT YOU DO?

A) Connection.. I'm blogging my journey with the hopes of connecting with people. It's a crazy collection because I write about what I want to write about. Sometimes it's cutting edge journal articles, sometimes it's motherhood, sometimes it's a look at what I'm doing in lab, or even just favorite websites!

B) Organization.. PhD proposals, in addition to being required, are really helpful for getting your thoughts and experiments organized into a realistic set of goals.

C) Freedom.. I love writing fiction because it feels freeing. While I have been trying to focus on more "educational" science fiction, it is 100% mine and I can create anything I want for plot points!

4) HOW DOES YOUR WRITING PROCESS WORK?

For the blog, I just write. I choose what I'm going to write about and start typing, start to finish without any planning. Type, type, type, type until I run out of things to say. Then I edit it into something I'm not horrified to post on the internet.

But for anything longer than a few pages, I like to outline.  My old fashion tendencies come out in the outline, I prefer to do it with paper and pen. I like having the notebooks to flip through and refer to when I'm writing. When I take the time to outline, I always finish the story. When I decide to use the jump in and go method, I usually end up with a long, bloated, incomplete manuscript. Once the story is complete, then I edit.

Now comes the fun part, I get to tag another blogger. This should be interesting because while I love following her blog I'm not sure she knows mine exists!

Johnna Roose over at New Under the Sun is one of my favorite plant bloggers. She always has the most interesting posts that range from photosynthesis to all about a flower species. I would love to know how she manages such amazing posts.

If anyone else feels inspired to participate please leave a link in the comments so I can read your writing process too!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for tagging me for this. For the record, I totally HAVE been to this blog before! I am intrigued by how someone juggles single-motherhood and the PhD process. I'm also curious as to if you have a review of How to Train your Dragon 2. I have my own dragon fanatic, but we didn't manage to get to a movie theater this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am working on one for Friday :) I really enjoyed it but bring tissues....

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me some feedback! I love interacting with people!