Friday, June 20, 2014

Dragon sequel did not disappoint

We went to see How to Train Your Dragon 2 last week on opening day. The theater was giving out free posters so we actually have copies of this poster now :) Boo gave it two thumbs up and a hearty "loved it!" I had been cautioned by so many people not to get too excited, we all know sequels don't hold up to the originals. Well, they were all wrong! This sequel felt like a natural and perfect follow-up to the first one. It stands as it's own story, no need to have seen the first one and no need to see the 3rd to feel satisfied. Though I am really excited about the 3rd one now!

Like it's predecessor, the flight sequences alone justify the cost of the 3D ticket and would probably be worth the IMAX price (but we did not go to that one so I cannot say for certain). All our favorite characters returned, all grown up, as 5 years have passed. There was, obviously, a lot of character development in Hiccup and Astrid, but Stoic, Gobber, Snotlout, Fishlegs and the twins had their own moments, as well. We also meet some very interesting new characters (though the man bad guy, Drago, is pretty one dimensional). Dragons are everywhere on Berk and Boo was quick to point out various species from the Dreamwork's Dragons TV show, as well as tell me which ones he did not know. The imagination and details put into the various dragon species was mind blowing.

The one thing I was not prepared for, my need for tissues. I cried... to the point that Boo complained I got his Toothless stuffed animal's head wet. The little boy next to me (little older than Boo) was sobbing. I was tearing up at the death of a beloved character but then a Viking funeral is performed and the eulogy given sent tears flowing over. In addition to the death, there is lot of dragon on dragon combat which might be to much for younger viewers, so bear that in mind when deciding to take the little ones.

That being said, load up your Dragons enthusiast, grab some popcorn and Icee and sit back for an hour and 42 minutes of incredible animation! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me some feedback! I love interacting with people!