Friday, March 14, 2014

#PositiveParentMoment

One of the things that I have been told repeatedly is that thoughts are like gardens, the ones we tend the most will grow the largest. As anyone can tell you, being a parent is both rewarding and exhausting. I find myself getting overwhelmed with parenting, feels like more often than not. Then after a bit of gentle nudging from my Mom after a particularly bad time, I realized I was feeding those thoughts more often than not.


So at the beginning of the year,  I decided to challenge myself to pay attention to moments that were POSITIVE every day. I created a Twitter handle (@PositiveParent365) with the sole purpose of capturing these moments where I could look back and read them. I had hoped to do them daily (hence the 365), but life gets in the way and I have missed a day here or there. To mark them I've been using #PositiveParentMoment. So far there have been 74 days in the year and I have marked 64 positive entries. I go back and read them occasionally, especially in moments where I am feeling overwhelmed, and it's been working.  Feeding my brain positive thoughts, particularly in potentially non-positive moments, is slowly starting to help me feel better about parenting. My brain has a way to say: Look it's not all a giant waste, some moments are epically awesome, even the little ones. For example:






Three months into this journey and I can see a difference. I still fall back on my old frustrated, overwhelmed ways sometimes but change takes time. But since I started looking for positive things to focus on and memorialize, those times are lessening.

I would love to see more #PositiveParentMoment, if you have Twitter, post your moment! If you don't post one in the comments here! What little moments can we use to feed the garden today?

2 comments:

  1. mine are older, further along. I thought it would be easier once they hit tween/teen, but not so much some days. Other days, like today, my youngest was tickled and praying earnestly that we would beat her dad (my hubby) home from a 1 hour ride in separate cars. My GPS took me a different way, and the whole way she was "please, please, please let us get there first...". Well, we actually got there first, and the squeal was priceless. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me some feedback! I love interacting with people!