Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Wrimo Wednesday!

As everyone who has frequented this blog should know, I am attempting NaNoWriMo while also being a mom and PhD candidate. This is an absolutely insane undertaking, yet almost 2 weeks in I am ahead on my word count (about 2 days). To accomplish this I am crafting my novel similar to what I am working on, with some of my masters thesis work sprinkled in, and taken several theoretical steps down the road. With that in mind, I thought I would share the background of the novel and how it partially relates to what I am actually doing.

In the novel, the main character (Beth) is running a lab at a new genetics research company. She is investigating how to make soybean more resilient to low water. Basically she wants to create a transgenic soybean that will survive even under drought conditions. Preferably not just survive but also thrive, and at the very least not change the crop yield. Right now she has created her modified soybean and is testing it. Soon she will find out that it has a downside (this is the part I'm still working on) and learn that her employers are not as interested in the science but the profit.

How does that relate to my research? Well I'm glad you asked! ;) I am currently investigating soybean but looking at cold tolerance, not drought. Soybean is cold intolerant, it tends to suffer and die when the temperatures drop. It seems to have components from the cold tolerant pathway yet it doesn't work. So we're looking to find out why, what part is broken and perhaps can we fix it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me some feedback! I love interacting with people!