Monday, October 28, 2013

MICE!!

Old Man Winter decided to arrive in spades this past week. It is not even Halloween but the temperatures have dropped to subfreezing at night and 40-50 with no sun and bitter wind during the day. We even had snow one morning this week. All of this makes me an unhappy camper. Though I live, by choice, in the midwest I hate the weather here! I'd be much happier in California or Florida or somewhere without snow! So to have snow arrive in October makes me very sad.

Another thing cold weather brings is the critters... all the bugs and rodents go OMG WTF IT'S COLD and look for warmth. Unfortunantly for me, the mouse population has found warmth IN my kitchen!! The other night I saw a mouse run away and disappear in between the cabinet and the dishwasher. Understandably enough, I screamed (hey there is a reason I am a plant biologist and not an animal researcher ok!). After telling Boo it was just a mouse and not to worry, I ran back to my room and called maintenance. They informed me that they could not do anything but if I set traps they would come collect any dead mice... I threw a bit more of a fit and they relented that the next day they would look at the hole under my sink and at least stuff steel wool in it. So being the ever so brave person that I am, we ran to the store bought some traps, set them and ran into my room where I barricaded under the door with towels and had Boo slumber party. (What? Did you miss the part where I said I am a plant biologist?!)

Next day, I took an exam that was absolutely horrid and the lack of sleep from freaking out about these mice turning into ROUS from Princess Bride did not help. Put Boo to bed, then went to watch some TV and prep the exam I was giving the next day when the rodent stuck it's head out from UNDER my couch right next to me! Once again seeing ROUS in my head I RAN back to my bedroom, stuffed a towel under the door and spent another night not sleeping.

That brings us to the exam I administered, a huge practical (60 questions, 18 stations!) that had to be set up, administer and break down. Then I returned home and found a dead mouse, feeling incredibly victorious that I got the little sucker we played Lego's in the living room. Until we saw TWO MICE at the SAME TIME under the couch. That did it, back to the bedroom to hide!!

I went to complain at the office and apparently some other units are having issues as well. Went away for the weekend, came back to all set traps, no dead mice, new poop so they are still here. Guess it's another night of towels shoved under the door and horribly sleep. Will be complaining again tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me some feedback! I love interacting with people!