Thursday, August 29, 2013

Laboratory Catchup

Having launched this blog a little later than I was expecting, I have a few blurbs I wrote on my computer but never posted. So I'm going to post a few of them to help sum up my first month.

-----------------------------------------

Lab Catchup - originally written Aug 12

I have a MS in Marine Biology and Biochemistry. I've done research on coral reefs all over the world! I'm an accomplished scientist with first author paper and a few secondary authors. Despite all of that, in this new lab I feel like an undergraduate starting her first day in the sciences! All the little details of  proper laboratory research have been replaced with child rearing techniques. I have to ask for help with almost everything. My training is in photosynthetic biology, and while I've always loved molecular biology, I've done very little of it. This new lab is all about molecular techniques. It's a steep learning curve.

----------------------------------------

Update: almost 2 weeks later the times that I feel like a moron are significantly less than the times I feel like I know what I am doing. I've been bounced around on 3 different projects this month but I have one that seems to be growing. I like the days I know what I'm doing and how to do it when I walk into the lab. This current project is that way, I have learned the 4 techniques I need to process my samples and analyze the data without needing any assistance. Makes for much nicer days in lab, I feel productive and independent! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me some feedback! I love interacting with people!