Wednesday, August 28, 2013

First Post - Background

Greetings all! If you are here for this my inaugural post you must be connected to me in the real world and care about me enough to read this! For that I say THANK YOU! For those of you who stumble upon this post from some other source WELCOME!!! This blog is going to chronicle my attempt at obtaining my PhD and you are cordially invited to journey along with me.

First a little background. I've wanted to be a scientist for almost as long as I can remember. As I grew up I realized how much I enjoy teaching people new things and decided I would try to merge my enthusiasm for science and my love of education. After getting a nice BS in Biology, I moved onward to get my PhD in Marine Biology (become a marine biology - check that off the bucket list!). Well life, as it often does, had other ideas and during my studies I became pregnant with my son which bucked me out of the PhD and quickly into a MS. The time I found out to the time I was defending a MS I never really wanted was 4 months. Fast forward a few years and I have a beautiful boy and decide to try and get back into the field. I was fortunate enough to find a job teaching science at a local for profit college, only one class at first but built to 2-4 a quarter. I spent 3 years doing that and remembered how much I truly do love teaching, especially at the collegiate level. Unfortunately teaching part time at a local college is not going to pay the bills. Having never fully given up on getting a PhD and that coveted tenure track teaching job, I decided to try going back to school! So here I am, a month ago me and my first grader moved to a new city, 28 days ago I started my PhD in biology. I'm working in a plant biology lab that uses molecular techniques to chase down what occurs during abiotic stress.

Which brings us to this blog. I am hoping that over the next few years I can chronicle the ups and downs of life as a PhD student and single Mom. Sometimes this will be venting, sometimes it will be celebrating, I'm hoping there will be laughs to be found in the posts that follow. I make no promises but I hope you find some good stories and maybe learn something along the way. If you made it this far, I hope you'll keep checking this page. Feel free to leave comments, I love meeting new people :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me some feedback! I love interacting with people!